a clear conscience
ethical, sustainable, local
at GRLCLB we don't think we have a choice about doing things the right way. sometimes we dream about how big our profit margins could be if we didn't, but we've made a commitment to being good folk.
that's why all our stock is sourced from suppliers who have also committed to a strict code of ethics. by purchasing from fair wear foundation accredited factories, we - and you! - can sleep easy at night knowing you haven't contributed to the exploitation of another human being. the FWF is an independent non-profit organisation that aims to improve conditions and standards within garment factories. their eight labour standards are as follows:
- no bonded labour
- no discrimination
- no child labour
- freedom of association
- a living wage
- reasonable hours of work
- safe conditions
- a legal contract
you can read more about their work here
our supplier is also a member of the UN global compact - an initiative encouraging businesses to implement sustainable and socially responsible policies.
the ten principles of the UN global compact are as follows:
- businesses should support and respect the the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and
- make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining;
- the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour;
- the effective abolition of child labour; and
- the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and
- encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.
you can read more about the UN global compact here
all GRLCLB products are then printed or embroidered locally by a team of 2 in a print studio a couple of miles away. all embroidered pieces are done by hand. all printed items are produced by a small local business.
when your emails refer to grlclb as 'you guys', I always do a wee laugh out loud. because this is a one-woman show! grlclb's "hq" is the other side of my bedroom, in my one bed flat. I sew in all the labels, then wrap every item myself. packaging is plastic-free and shipping envelopes are recycled cardboard.